Friday, May 15, 2009

Questions...

Happy Friday! A always gets so excited to know it's Friday - brcause she's learned that Friday means Saturday and Sunday come next!

I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone out there can help me with...

1. What is the best way to cook and eat Dandelion Greens and Swiss Chard? We got both of these in our veggie share this week and I have no idea what to do with them. I tried to wing it with the beet greens last week - but that didn't turn out very well so I'm hoping that you guys have some good ideas for me. I hate to let them go to waste.

2. When is the best time to prune roses? Ours are out of control tall and really look strange but I don't want to kill them. They are one of the few things that grow in our yard.

3 comments:

Mrs. Spit said...

I am late in wishing you my congratulations, but they are real nonetheless.

Prune your roses either in early spring, before you see much in the way of leaf buds, or after they have finished blooming.

When you prune, make sure that you are cutting to the collar, more or less flush with the branch. There shouldn't be much of a stem left at all.

Lea said...

Mmmmm... swiss chard. I will often cut up the stems (in one inch pieces) boil them in a little water, until they are tender and then make a cream sauce for them. Once the chard is cooked to your liking, drain, add a little margerine or butter, a little flour and a little milk. Stir it all up and cook until it thickens slightly - you could even add a little cheddar cheese. Soooo good! The leaves are similar to spinach leaves... good for salads and such.
Good luck!

Ya Chun said...

i find dandalion greens a bit bitter.

I cook chard all the time. I wash, coarsely chop and microwave with a wee bit of oil, pepper, and salt (sugar if they are more bitter, but I have weaned us off that). I found that I like grapeseed oil the best, but you can use olive. Basically, you want to wilt the leaves.

I am not a big microwae user, but found I really like the greens better this way. 1-2 minutes.